Air Pollution Linked With Eye Infections


What Air Pollution Does to Eyes and Vision: "Air pollution, no doubt, has had numerous health impacts on humans, but when it comes to air pollution in relation to eyes and vision, there seems to be a gap. This phenomenon has not been studied in depth in the way that perhaps pollution in relation to our pulmonary system has, but there is evidence to suggest that pollution is hurting our eyes.

Our eyes are incredibly exposed and sensitive. If you’ve ever had the misfortune of getting dust or sand in your eyes (which everyone is likely to have experienced at least once), then you know the irritation and discomfort involved. Though pollution is a little sneakier than dust and sand, it can have an equal or worse effect on our eyes in the long run.



A study done in Paris in 2003 found a strong link between urban pollution and a spike in ophthalmological emergencies in the area. Though fewer studies have been done in other parts of the world, reports from Beijing, China and the India Times seem to suggest that vision health is being affected by smog and other forms of air pollution.



Dry Eye Syndrome and Pollution
The most frequently reported vision problem that is most probably linked to air pollution is dry eyes. This is especially common in places like Beijing, where air pollution is found in the form of smog (a combination of smoke and fog). Fog may be harmless enough, but smoke can be incredibly harmful to the eyes.

Though an exact cause as to why pollution causes dry eyes has yet to be found, researchers suggest that it may have to do with the lack of humidity in highly polluted areas. Areas with higher humidity are less likely to suffer from pollution-related dry eyes."

Eye Health - Pollution and Eye Disease: "As the dry winter days have arrived, followed by a hot summer, the incidence of eye problems like dryness, burning sensation, watering, redness and allergic conditions increase. This is more evident in urban areas.

In 1970 an incident happened at the playground of a certain senior high school in Tokyo. Some 40 female students suddenly complained of slight difficulty in breathing, dizziness and irritation of their eyes and throats. At the hospital examination, it was ascertained that this incident was caused by photochemical pollution. Los Angeles experienced similar problem in 1950, when the exhaust gas emitted by automobiles reacted with sunlight, causing irritation of the eye and even the cracking of tires. These incidents prove the danger of air pollutants on the human body.

The major air pollutants in any big city are
1. Carbon monoxide: It is emitted from automobiles and air conditioners, heaters. It is the biggest source of air pollution.
2. Nitrogen dioxide: It is emitted from cars and factories. It causes severe allergic reaction and also acid rain of mixing with water vapor.
3. Particulate matter: Coarse and fine particles in atmosphere cause irritation and allergic symptoms in human body.
4. Sulphur dioxide: It has a rotten egg smell and mainly comes from industries. It causes smog reducing visibility and is a very strong irritant for skin, eyes and breathing.
5. Other pollutants: Asbestos, arsenic, benzene, lead, dioxin etc are other sources of air pollution today. Chlorofluorocarbons, halons etc cause reduction in protective ozone layer in atmosphere causing eye and skin chronic irritation and even risk of cancer.
Effects of air pollution on eyes

There is a spectrum of symptoms occurring due to air pollution. It may range from simple irritation and burning to severe allergy, cataract and even cancer.
The most common problems are:
1. Redness
2. Burning sensation
3. Watering
4. Ropy discharge
5. Itching sensation
6. Dry, gritty sensation
7. Difficulty in vision due to watering and itching
8. Allergic reaction: Severe itching, redness, discharge, eyelid swelling, inability to open eyes, vision problem and risk of infection (conjunctivitis, ulcers)."

'via Blog this'

Comments

  1. Are you looking for the best eye hospital in Ludhiana which can help you to meet the best eye experts? If yes then it is the time to visit Advanced Centre For Eyes which is having Dr. Dinesh Garg who is a famous eye doctor for his amazing results.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts.

    Book Cheap Flight Tickets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eye Pollution our living environment in which we live is directly connect with the eyes health. Dr Brijinder S Rana is very famous surgeon and experienced eye doctor in Ludhiana who known for his successful result. To save from various eye problems, regular eye check up is important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for showing that kind of knowledge on your portal.
    You have done all good.
    I love to see you again with some new content.

    Book Cheap Plane Tickets
    Must-Do Things Before Starting A Vacation Trip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you looking for some great budget travel destinations? Check out our list of 10 places where you can have a great time without spending a lot of money. We've got suggestions for affordable activities in each location, so you can make the most of your trip. Read more here.

    10 Budget Travel Destinations with Affordable Activities

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Water Pollution And Its Harmful Effects on Humans and Environment

Plastic Pollution: Environmental Health Of Workers Affected By Pollutant

Pollution in the Huai River and the cancer village of Huangmengying in Henan, China | EJAtlas